Tuesday 21 January 2014

Feeling great Wednesday - the benefits of dancing

One cold and snowy winter during the school holidays I spent several afternoons enjoying Fred and Ginger strut their stuff during an array of films that always had them break into a dance at any given opportunity. There was singing as well but it was the dancing that captivated my teenage mind and imagination.

I have never had any formal dance lessons and my dancing was restricted to the discos of the late 1970s and early 80s. It was always less freestyle that I would have liked because I was desperate to fit in and that meant conforming to the styles of the time. Fortunately the likes of John Travolta gave people like me slightly more options than just shuffling from foot to foot. On the other hand, no-one likes a show-off.

After all these years I am about to take dancing lessons and learn the Lindy Hop. Hopefully having poor balance and coordination won't hinder me too much. As I prepare by purchasing some gym shoes which apparently are the best footwear to learn in because your foot needs to be able to slide across the floor, I have been researching the benefits of dancing. I knew of some of the benefits but there were even more.

  1. Physical benefits include improved lung and heart function, improved digestion and metabolism, increased levels of fitness, stronger bones, muscles and joints, improved sleep and weight management.
  2. Neurological benefits include improved intellectual function, improved memory and reduced risk of developing dementia.
  3. Emotional benefits include releasing large amounts of endorphins (feel good hormones) from the physical activity, the music and the social interactions and from the immense fun that dancing provides.
Any form of dancing on a regular basis provides all these benefits, so put on your favourite song or join a class and let the good times roll.

warmest wishes
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment